BPW/UN matters, including deadlines, can be found on the BPW and UN website
- BPW International Leaders' Summit: March 6 - 7, 2020 9 am - 6 pm
- Registration Closes February 28, 2020
- Harmonie Club, 4 E 60th Street, New York, NY 10022
- Cost $320 USD: includes lunch and two coffee breaks
- Event is limited to 80 persons
- Clare Fulcher Dinner: March 8, 2020, 6:00 pm
- Marriott's East Side, 525 Lexington Ave. 49th Street, New York
- Cost $150 USD
- Event is limited to 100 persons
- CSW Consultation Day: Sunday, March 8, 2020
- "Consultation Day is the launch of the NGO CSW Forum. It is an all-day event that takes place the Sunday before CSW64. It is meant to educate and prepare attendees for the upcoming forum and its priority theme. The day consists of several discussions or presentations with global experts on the theme. In addition, Consultation Day has entertainment, networking and photo ops!" ~ Source
- 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Apollo Theater in Harlem, NYC
- Tickets: Orchestra & Lower Mezzanine - $100 USD; Upper Mezzanine - $50 USD
Return to top
Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) 64: March 9 - 20, 2020
Beijing+25 (2020): Realizing Gender Equality and the Empowerment of all Women and Girls
"In 2020, the global community will mark the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women and adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995). A five-year milestone will be reached towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. 2020 is therefore a pivotal year for the accelerated realization of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls, everywhere." ~ Source
BPW International's Written Statement for CSW64:
"The main focus of CSW 64 is the review and appraisal of the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and the outcomes of the 23rd special session of the General Assembly. The review will include an assessment of current challenges that affect the implementation of the Platform for Action and the achievement of gender equality and the empowerment of women and its contribution towards the full realization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development." Read the complete statement.
For the latest news regarding BPW International/CSW64, click here.
The outcome of the 1995 Fourth World Conference on Women, "the Beijing Declaration and the Platform for Action, was adopted unanimously by 189 countries. This agenda, according to UN Women, is considered 'the most progressive blueprint ever for advancing women’s rights' and 'the key global policy document on gender equality'.
2020 marks the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (BPfA). In 2020, UN Women and the Commission on the Status of Women will undertake a review and analysis of the implementation of the BPfA and the outcomes of the twenty-third special session of the General Assembly."~ Source
- Beijing+25: NGO Participation
- NGO Guidance for National Parallel Reports
- Canada's National Parallel Report: Unfinished Business - A Parallel Report on Canada’s Implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, October 2019.
- Canada Review: Implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995) in the Context of the Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women, May 2019: English; French.
- Beijing+25 and the Generation Equality Forum Overview: To commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Platform for Action (BPfA), the Generation Equality Forum and CSW64 will look back at the past 25 years to evaluate progress, as well as look forward to determining concrete action for gender equality. Click here to download the overview.
BPW International is associated with 5 Parallel Events during the CSW64, this includes Human Trafficking - Sexually Exploited Girls: Global Cost of Actions NOT Taken that is being organized by BPW Canada's Kelly Franklin (BPW London).
BPW Canada's and BPW International Human Trafficking Taskforce Chair, Kelly Franklin, will be organizing this CSW64 Parallel Event. Overview and CSW theme/mandate Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) and SDG alignment: Freedom from violence stigma and stereotypes is a basic human right, yet every day globally girls are sold and purchased as sexual commodities, force raped and traumatized.
Panel/Presenters: survivor and first persons, potential minor-aged victim/survivor participation. The focus will be on non-victimizing, non-objectifying with purposed outcomes that are shareable. Event is open to all, although the focus of girls, gender-neutral, orientation neutral, cultural bias aware and indigenous and first persons inclusive including language and presentations.
Location: Church Center for United Nations, Second Floor 10:30 a.m. March 17, 2020.
- March 12, 2020 - 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Location: UN Headquarters, New York
- 2020 marks the 10th Anniversary of the Women's Empowerment Principles, this annual flagship event will be a special celebration of progress to advance gender equality and women's empowerment in the workplace, marketplace and community.
The NGO Committee on the Status of Women, NY (NGO CSW/NY) each year develop online Orientation video series for those who are new to CSW. These videos contain helpful information, advice, and how-to instructions to prepare you for CSW. Click here to view the current year's videos on the NGO CSW/NY YouTube Channel.
"The Generation Equality Forum is a civil society–centred, multi-stakeholder, global gathering for gender equality, convened by UN Women and co-hosted by the governments of Mexico and France. It will be connected in real time across the world through interactive satellite sessions enabled through technology to maximize participation...
The Forum will be informed by the...Beijing+25 multi-stakeholder regional meetings and consultations...The Forum will also be informed by the 64th session of the Commission on the Status of Women..." ~ Source
"Building on the Beijing+25 national and regional reviews and CSW64, the Forum will kick-off in Mexico in May 2020...and culminate in Paris on 7th-10th July 2020. ~ Source
The Generation Equality Forum will be an intergenerational and intersectional gathering for gender equality convened by UN Women and co-chaired by France and Mexico, in partnership with civil society.
Discussions will focus on action and accountability for the full implementation of the Beijing Declaration and intersecting, emerging issues for gender equality. ~ Source