BPW/UN matters, including deadlines, can be found on the BPW and UN website
BPW International Leaders Summit 2021
The NGO CSW65 Forum will be virtual in 2021.
How to Participate at the CSW65 - BPW International
- For the latest news regarding BPW International/CSW65 click here.
- Register to attend the Virtual NGO CSW Forums, click here ($25 USD).
- Priority theme: Women's full and effective participation and decision-making in public life, as well as the elimination of violence, for achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls;
- Review theme: Women's empowerment and the link to sustainable development (agreed conclusions of the sixtieth session).
Organization of the CSW Session
Click here for the Proposed Organization of Work (the official meetings) as of December 2020.
BPW International's Written Statement for CSW65
"Women’s empowerment and full participation and decision-making in public life as well as gender equality can only be achieved through education. Girls’ education is a critical pathway to achieving gender equality. Barriers to girls’ education are also barriers to gender equality.
Education transforms lives. Equitable education’s unique power has been recognized as a catalyst for wider development goals. Education is a development multiplier but the world still has 132 million girls out of school." Read the complete statement.
The NGO Committee on the Status of Women, NY (NGO CSW/NY) each year develop online Orientation video series for those who are new to CSW. This year, being virtual, the videos are useful for new and seasoned attendees. These videos contain helpful information, advice, and how-to instructions to prepare you for CSW. Click here to view the current year's videos on the NGO CSW/NY YouTube Channel.
"In 2020, the global community will mark the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women and adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995). A five-year milestone will be reached towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. 2020 is therefore a pivotal year for the accelerated realization of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls, everywhere." ~ Source
- Beijing+25 and Generation Equality Updates
- NGO Guidance for National Parallel Reports
- Canada's National Parallel Report: Unfinished Business - A Parallel Report on Canada’s Implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, October 2019.
- Canada Review: Implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995) in the Context of the Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women, May 2019: English; French.
- Beijing+25 and the Generation Equality Forum Overview: To commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Platform for Action (BPfA), the Generation Equality Forum and NGO CSW will look back at the past 25 years to evaluate progress, as well as look forward to determining concrete action for gender equality. Click here to download the overview developed prior to the 2020 postponements.
April 3, 2020: Announcement: Generation Equality Forum Postponed
"As the situation surrounding COVID-19 evolves, the number of people around the world affected by this disease continues to increase. This global public health crisis has direct implications for the Generation Equality Forum and for gender equality and women’s human rights...In light of this crisis, the Generation Equality Forum will be postponed until the first half of 2021. The new dates will be announced in the coming months. Read the complete announcement.
"The Generation Equality Forum is a civil society–centred, global gathering for gender equality, convened by UN Women and co-hosted by the governments of Mexico and France. Kicking off in Mexico City, Mexico, and culminating in Paris, France, in the first half of 2021, the Forum will launch a set of concrete, ambitious, and transformative actions to achieve immediate and irreversible progress towards gender equality.
The year 2020 marks a milestone moment for accelerating implementation of global commitments to gender equality. It is the 25th anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women and the adoption of its landmark outcome, the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, a visionary agenda that set out how to remove the systemic barriers that hold women back from equal participation in all areas of life, whether in public or private...." ~ Source
Updated Generation Equality Forum Slide Deck - December 2020
The slide deck provides an overview of the structure of the Generation Equality Forum (GEF) and how global civil society can become involved in the GEF process.
"The 64th session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women took stock, assessed gaps, and charted a path forward for fulfilling the promise of gender equality enshrined in the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, 25 years after its adoption.
This photo essay presents key milestones in the women’s rights movement, the progress and pushback, and voices and aspirations of women leaders from every corner of the world...
The movement goes global
Since the founding of the United Nations, a timeline of the landmark international agreements and conferences that pushed for women’s rights and gender equality." ~ Source