BPW Canada supports the UN Women and UN Global Compact Women's Empowerment Principles (WEPs) and encourages the awareness, promotion and integration of the Women's Empowerment Principles into all aspects of Canadian life; including small business, all levels of government and civil society.
Women's Empowerment is a top organizational priority and we invite all stakeholders in Canada to demonstrate their support for the WEPs and encourage business leaders to implement them to demonstrate their commitment to gender equality in Canada.
BPW Canada's WEP's Profile
Click here or an image to download the WEPs Brochure.
Motivate and guide business to take wide-ranging actions to empower women in the workplace, marketplace and community and to view such action as an integral and necessary part of corporate sustainability.
How Can Stakeholders use the Seven Women's Empowerment Principles?
While designed as a tool for the private sector to strengthen company policies and programs to create a culture that can achieve gender equality, the Principles provide a platform for all stakeholders to advance their commitment to gender equality. Together we can create a Canada where women’s economic capacity is unleashed and where women are fully engaged in positions of leadership and strategic decision-making. As well as being a useful guide for business, the Principles seek to inform other stakeholders, including governments, and civil society in their engagement with the private sector. See resources specific to each of the three stakeholder groups on the Canadian Coalition to Empower Women Resource page.
1. Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality
2. Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and non-discrimination
3. Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers
4. Promote education, training and professional development for women
5. Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women
6. Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy
7. Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality
The #WeCommit campaign is a call-to-action for private sector companies of all sizes, enterprises, and employers’ organizations, stock exchanges, pension funds, and wealth management funds with the aim to sign and/or deepen the implementation of the Women's Empowerment Principles.
The Canadian Coalition to Empower Women and BPW Canada supports the WEPs as a foundation to build partnerships across Canada to promote cooperation & solidarity in creating a better post-COVID-19 normal. The time is now to bring solutions to the table & secure a sustainable future for all by ensuring current and future work is built on principles of inclusivity, equality, and social justice.
Check out the #WECommit resources below to assist your journey. If you are a prospective WEPs signatory, already a WEPs signatory or an Ally, check out the #WeCommit Welcome Kit to get more tips and materials to get you started in communicating about the WEPs and calling for more commitments!
- New Canadian WEPs Signatories - Join the WEPs
- Current Canadian WEPs Signatories
- Canadian WEPs Ally - Learn more about WEPS and spread the word on your Twitter/Facebook channels and call on your employer to sign the WEPs.